Sunday, July 20, 2014

Connecticut Part 2 (New York City)

Continued from Connecticut Part 1

The great thing about the New England area is how close you are to so many great cities. Besides spending our time exploring Connecticut we also took some weekend trips to nearby cities. The first being New York City.

We took a two hour train from New Haven, CT to Grand Central station in New York City.



When we arrived at Grand Central station, Melinda had arranged for a surprise. A friend of ours from high school, who is attending law school in D.C., met up with us for the weekend and I had no idea until I turned to Melinda and said, "Haha, that guy looks so much like Doi... wait... that IS Doi!".


For dinner our first night there we went to the Stardust Diner. Now this just isn't any diner. Nope. But then, NYC is not any other city. This is a diner where many people who are working while trying to catch their big break into the entertainment system (especially onto Broadway) are the servers. AND what better way to get people to discover you than to be singing and dancing while serving customers. While here I got the Coney Island Burger (the bun was made out of pretzel dough) and it was SO delicious.

Night time stroll and fun across the Brooklyn Bridge

NYC Subway: I'm weird but I get excited when I smell that terrible awful sweaty-pee-etc. subway smell because I know I am in a big city and I love it.



I love Broadway! Nothing can beat the talent that you get to see in New York City. I always try to see a show whenever I am in NYC. This time was saw Phantom. Sadly, I have to admit, of all the shows I have seen on Broadway, this was my least favorite. Don't get me wrong, it was great because anything on Broadway is great; I've just seen and enjoyed better when attending a show on Broadway.

We were going to do a quick walk through Central Park when we passed one of the ponds and saw that they had remote control sailboats to drive. Well, Melinda and I couldn't say no to that. It actually was really hard because you actually had to turn the sail just right to catch the wind so that the sailboat would float in the direction you wanted. Once we got the hang of it we MAY have purposefully kept running into other's boats (but mostly each other's) and started a whole game of bumper boats.



Walking the Streets of New York City



Fire hydrant in Little Italy


Our last night there someone suggested we took the Staten Island Ferry at night to see the city line all lit up. I had never thought of this before. I've always used the Staten Island Ferry during the day as a free and easy way to see the Statue of Liberty but I had never considered it at night and I loved it. It was beautiful.
I have probably visited this city too much but every time I go I always end up doing a few new things besides repeating the things I love. I love that this city has millions of things to offer.

1 comment:

  1. ok I just love you and Melinda. Bumper boats! And I want to go to New York with you! I went in jr. high but it stresses me out going as an adult and having to be in charge haha so maybe you can be my guide?!

    ReplyDelete